The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) comes into effect on January 1, 2020, after being signed into law on June 2018. This law gives unprecedented rights to customers around the collection, storage, and use of their data. The CCPA follows regulations like GDPR in Europe and continues a trend for governments to pass legislation putting an increased responsibility firmly onto companies to treat their customers personal information with transparency and due care.
Who does the CCPA impact?
The CCPA applies to any business that collects consumer’s personal data, which does business in California, and which meets one of the following criteria:
- The company’s gross revenues are more than $USD25 million.
- The company possesses the personal information of 50,000 or more consumers, households, or devices.
- The company earns more than 50% of its revenue from the sale of customers’ personal information.
This law is seen as a blueprint for many US states, and countries outside the USA. There is no doubt that these regulations, or ones like them, will apply to more and more customers and businesses. Increased responsibility for customer data is a change that will impact almost everyone at some stage.
What does the CCPA mean for you as a business?
- You need processes in place to collect specific consent for any data gathered from customers under 16 years of age.
- You need to enable your customers to opt-out of the sale of their data.
- You must provide ways for your customers to request access to their data.
- You must clearly display privacy policies that reflect California customers consumer rights.
- You cannot request opt-in consent for 12 months after a Californian customer opts out.
How can Stella Digital help?
“Every business has a responsibility to treat the data of their customers appropriately. Increasingly governments around the world are taking this moral responsibility and making it a legal one. At Stella Digital we understand how businesses are impacted by legislation and can help them respond to these requirements in the most efficient and effective way. We can help you to get this right first time, so your business can operate secure in the knowledge that it is compliant.” – Roy Wilkinson